Saturday, November 9, 2013

Resetting goals

Every once in awhile, God has this way of telling me to reset.

I knew in my heart that CIM was just not going to happen...But I persisted.  When CIM seemed out of reach, I set my eyes on Redding.  I'd run that marathon for my father.  Considering that my dad is a quadriplegic, it seemed noble.  Afterall, he loves the idea that I have M.S. and run marathons.  All the while, I  knew Redding wouldnt happen either.  I needed a different goal.  One that would push me to a new running level.

Then WHAM!  I get sick.  Really sick.

OK, I wasn't dying.  I just came down with a bad cold that wouldn't die.  Coughing, sneezing, muck.  I don't usually keep a cold long.  I tend to throw off the sniffles in a day or two, usually giving it to Kelly.  Not this time.  Two weeks.  No running.

I really have no interest to run another mediocre marathon.  I may never be fast, but I know I can get better at 26.2 miles.

So,  now I think I'll reset.  Step back, build miles, work on some speed,...and lose a little weight.  Yeah, for the first time in my life, I think I really need to lose some weight.  I hate menopause.

Today, I ran 8 miles.  Two weeks off has taken its toll.  It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't easy, either.  I was weak.  Tomorrow will be easier.

I signed up for the San Francisco RocknRoll 1/2 marathon.  It isn't until April, and it's a half.  I have a shot at building mileage in a reasonable way.  There's also time to do some speed workouts...Now, that would be novel.

God has a way of resetting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment